Tuesday, January 5, 2016

TALES OF A SUBSTITUTE TEACHER: Last Minute Jobs



Today I am not in the classroom. I am home, working from here, nursing a cold, still in my pajamas and soon to make chicken soup.

At 11:55 a.m. I received a call from Broward County SmartFind Express, the automated phone system that pairs up subs with classroom openings. As the call comes in, I quickly go to SmartFind's website to see the job. The automated system takes a while to get to the heart of the matter and so if it is an undesirable job, I can swiftly hang up rather than hear the recording in its entirety.

The offer is for a job that starts at 12 and goes till 4. It is a middle school science class at Lyons Creek. The job will entail trying to keep 3 or 4 classes tame until the final bell. Lyons Creek is about 6 minutes up the road if I breeze through every light. Did I mention that it is 11:55 AM and I am in my pajamas) If I arrived at 12:20, I would make about $35 dollars after taxes for the effort. Somehow, I'd rather list something on eBay and take a chance.

If you've been reading this blog, you know that I am quite fond of subbing. And when my favorite sub coordinator calls and begs me to take a job that isn't quite up my alley, I usually say "Yes." And, I love the scene in Mrs. Doubtfire when Pierce Brosnan is choking and Mrs. D runs to save him, declaring, "Help is on the way!!" But I won't be playing class rescuer today. There's just not enough reward in it.

I might have been incentivized if...(and I'm dreaming here):
a.  the kids were nice and respectful to me and thanked me for filling in for their teacher
b.  subs hired at the last minute made time and a 1/2. ($50 seems like a more respectable sum)
c.  subs got points on an "frequent subbing card" and could redeem them at Starbucks.
 The school board could have an effect on # 2 and #3 - #1 is way beyond their control.

 FYI, it is now 12:32. I was called at 12:05 and re-offered the job. And I can see that the job is still "in callout" mode.

2 comments:

Kalam Training Academy said...

Wow..Its really so beautiful..Thanks a lot for sharing..
Best Tnpsc Coaching Centre in Chennai
Best ssc Coaching Centre in Chennai
Best Ias Academy in Chennai
Best Group Exam Coaching Centre in Chennai
Best Bank Exam Coaching Centre in Chennai

post guest said...

The https //192.168.1.254 is an IP address used by routers of certain models to identify themselves on the network. It is one of the addresses in the so called "private network 16-bit block address space" which is reserved for use within private networks.