Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Wishing Safety from Whirling Dervishes and other Natural Disasters

My friend just texted me and told me she's hiding out in her basement. She lives in Kansas City and a tornado threatens yet again. I am worried for her, yet thankful for cellars right now.

I have friends all over the country -- many in tornado alley. In particular, I am thinking of some dear ones in Missouri, New Orleans, Oklahoma, Alabama and Tennessee. I listen to the news and I see their faces. The violent weather that is either destroying or threatening their daily lives is beyond crazy. I wish I had a special power to stop it.

I wonder where the safest place on earth is. Or rather, is there such a place? I'm talking natural disaster rather than crime. A few years back a Forbes article ranked Hawaii among the safest places to live, with Santa Fe and Boise, Idaho close behind.

When I moved to Florida in 2002, I didn't think about weather systems. Hurricanes were not on my mental radar. In September 2004, however, after surviving Frances, but thinking we might not, I was obsessed with them.

With one week till the official launch of hurricane season, I am not raiding the shelves for water and canned goods quite yet. My preparedness style is to pick up a few things here and there. I don't want to get stuck in a panic like I did in 2004. I promise to keep 4 spare gallons of water, a dozen "c" batteries, and to keep my gas tank at least half full.

From my house to yours, wishing you safely through....................

1 comment:

Karina Gentinetta said...

Amen. May everyone sleep safely tonight.